If you are a PA who is experiencing hardship during the COVID-19 pandemic, you may be interested in this professional development and CME opportunity to develop your skills as an item writer by writing test questions for PAEA’s End of Curriculum™ exam. Released in January 2020, the End of Curriculum exam is an objective, standardized evaluation of a student’s medical knowledge as one component of their readiness for graduation.
PAEA and AAPA are working together to identify a diverse group of PAs with varied experience levels, from different practice areas, and across all regions of the United States to work together during this unprecedented time.
Timeline and Expectations
This is a six-week, time-limited commitment. During that time, you will be asked to work in a group with six other PAs, each of whom will write 10 exam questions covering various content areas and medical settings. You will be expected to participate in four virtual meetings: a training session, a small group peer review with two colleagues, and two large group peer review meetings with your cohort of six. Each group will begin on a rolling basis. The following is an overview of the timeline, for which details will be provided upon appointment:
- Week 1: Training and assignment planning
- Week 2 and 3 (11 days): Question writing
- Week 4 (two days each): Small group peer review and author review/revision
- Week 5: Editorial review, no participant work
- Week 6: Large group peer review (two four-hour sessions)
In return for your participation, PAEA will provide the following:
- 20 credits of AAPA Category 1 CME
- Complimentary one-year PAEA Individual Colleague Membership
- $500 honorarium
- Experiencing hardship during COVID-19
- Commitment to complete the six-week question development process
- Ability to adhere to the roles and responsibilities of this position, which are detailed in the application portal
- PAs who have written exam questions for NCCPA within the last two years
- PAs who are currently participating in other item writing activities for service or pay
Applications are due by May 27 at 8:00 p.m. ET, and selected participants will be notified by June 1.