2023 Volunteer Recruitment Cycle
The application deadline for select volunteer positions has been extended.
October 24 – November 1, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. ET
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with PAEA. Below you will find information about our standing volunteer committees that have extended the application deadline.
PAEA actively engages members to serve in various volunteer capacities throughout the year. Our volunteer leaders help advance the Association’s priorities through their work, which is intentionally aligned with PAEA’s strategic plan. We need your help to achieve the Association’s strategic goals and are committed to increasing opportunities for national service. We encourage all interested applicants to apply for any positions in which they are interested.
General Information and Timeline:
- Application submission extension: October 25 – November 1, 2022
- Application review period: October 25 – November 29, 2022
- All candidates will be notified no later than December 15, 2022.
- Each applicant will be asked to sign a Statement of Eligibility for Service and to complete a Conflict-of-Interest Form.
Steering Committees, Review Committees, and Boards
Steering and Review Committees are functional groups providing guidance, advice, recommendations, and insights from the PA education community on a specific area, project, or initiative. The work of these groups contributes directly to the ongoing work of PAEA, manifested in specific products, services, and activities. Each steering committee has individual descriptions and functions. Please see below for more about the work of each committee.
Time & Meeting Commitments: The meeting and communication cadence is set by the chair, members, and PAEA staff partner of each committee. The average amount of time members and chairs spend working on committee initiatives will vary based on the committee and their needs. Please see below for more information about the time and meeting commitments for each committee.
Terms of Service: Steering Committee chairs serve three-year terms. Members serve two-year terms. There is an opportunity for the chair and members to renew for one additional term.
- For chairs selected during this recruitment cycle, terms will begin January 1, 2023, and end December 31, 2025.
- For members selected during this recruitment cycle, terms will begin January 1, 2023, and end December 31, 2024.
2 Member Positions Available
The Finance Steering Committee (FSC) monitors PAEA’s finances, strategically reviews PAEA’s annual budget, and makes recommendations to PAEA’s Board of Directors to ensure growth and stability of PAEA’s revenue base. The FSC is seeking two individuals to join the committee to advance the Association’s financial position in alignment with the 2022 PAEA strategic goals.
FSC Current Work:
The FSC works as a collaborative team to advance the Association’s financial goals. Since PAEA’s budget is driven by its strategy, we have become well-versed in the goals and direction of the Association. The FSC is also intimately aware of the fabric of the Association, including its products and services, and are among the first to know of any new initiatives with financial implications.
Experience and Qualifications Requested:
- Experience with creating budgets and the ability to understand financial statements. (Members are not expected to create financial statements or PAEA’s detailed line-by-line budget but will participate in a strategic review at the committee’s annual meeting.)
*Members should maintain confidentiality of all committee materials.
Additional Meeting Commitments: FSC members are expected to attend one annual day-long committee meeting in March. This meeting is currently virtual. Additionally, ad-hoc virtual meetings or conference calls will be held as needed. Meetings most likely will not occur more than one per quarter each year.
3 member positions available
The Grants and Scholarship Review Committee (GSRC) evaluates grant applications from PAEA faculty members for three research grant solicitations each year. Volunteer reviewers are asked to rate the core criteria and provide detailed feedback to applicants on methodology, analysis, and research design. PAEA also periodically facilitates mentorship requests from applicants who have specific questions pertaining to their research projects.
GSRC Current Work: The GSRC annually reviews applications for PAEA’s research grants, which include the Don Pedersen Research Grant, the Faculty-Generated Research Grant, and the Support to Advance Research (STAR) Program.
Who should apply for the GSRC?
- Someone who is proficient in
- Qualitative and quantitative analysis
- Research design
- Survey design
- Statistical analysis
- Topical issues (i.e., workforce studies, wage gap issues)
- Shows an interest in mentoring and guiding newer PA researchers
- Possesses extensive experience as a PA educator
- Has a strong research track record, including a demonstrated history of publishing and reviewing research
2 position available
The Future Educator Development Steering Committee (FEDSC) serves as the voice of PA students and early career PAs. This committee oversees, initiates, and strategizes student engagement projects within PAEA. The FEDSC is responsible for the strategic planning of the Future Educator Fellowship, which is designed to explore foundations in teaching, expose students to the current educational environment, and expand professional development and leadership opportunities for students.
FEDSC Current Work:
FEDSC is currently working on finalizing the new curriculum for the Future Educator Fellowship that will be in place for the 2022-23 cohort. The group has been:
- Defining goals and objectives for the fellowship that are aligned with the PA Educator Competencies
- Creating a module structure that is flexible enough for PA student life yet structured enough to still allow for measuring outcomes
- Creating activities and potential content, or identifying subject matter experts to deliver content, for each module.
In the future, the group will continue to enhance this curriculum as well as look for ways to nurture those interested in PA education. The goal will be to engage others in micro-learning opportunities online to reach a larger audience of interested future educators while continuing to offer the concentrated learning experience that the fellowship provides.
Time and Meeting Expectations:
In order to maintain the quality of the fellowship, each committee member is expected to:
- Attend all virtual and in-person committee meetings, including PAEA’s Education Forum
- The committee faculty and staff will also have mandatory quarterly meetings via Zoom and calendar invites will be sent out in advance for planning purposes.
- Design and lead at least two virtual modules during the Fellowship year
- Serve as supplemental (backup) faculty for at least two virtual modules during the Fellowship year
- There are between 10-15 modules during each Fellowship year; faculty are only asked to attend four of these (two as primary faculty, two as backup faculty)
- Judge student applications for the fellowship
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned at the discretion of the chair
Experience and Qualifications Requested:
- Commitment to leadership, teaching, and education, and the ability to provide a new educator perspective
- Experience with mentorship, volunteer leadership, and innovation in early educator training
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion.
Journal of Physician Assistant Education
JPAE is a quarterly, peer-reviewed publication dedicated to advancing PA education by publishing scholarly manuscripts germane to PA educators and providing a forum for the sharing of ideas and innovations that will enhance the education of PA students.
1 Social Media Member Position Available
Editorial board members are expected to work with the editor in chief and editorial staff to uphold the high standards and practices of the journal. They also will be called upon to regularly review manuscripts as a peer reviewer, identify new peer reviewers for the journal, and provide editorial feedback. An applicant must be a member of a PAEA member program.
Work and Position Description
PAEA is seeking applications to fill the important position of Social Media Member on the Journal of Physician Assistant Education (JPAE) Editorial Advisory Board. The role of this particular board member is to help promote the journal via all forms of social media.
The Social Media Member position is designed to focus on promoting the journal via social media outlets and to take advantage of some of the “bells and whistles” available to JPAE through the Wolters Kluwer website. Successful candidates should possess the following qualifications:
- Well-versed in using social media platforms (primarily Twitter, but also Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn)
- Willing to experiment with different platforms and modalities to increase the reach and readership of the journal
- Ability to synthesize research articles and present them in easily understandable ways
- Ability to develop unique avenues for dissemination of journal articles using technology
JPAE’s Current Work
Since January 2015, the journal has been published by Wolters Kluwer, part of Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins. This move has allowed us to increase our online presence, boost our article search capability, and track the most viewed articles, along with numerous other capabilities. Currently, the journal has a robust pipeline of research and special articles and has increased the number of articles that it publishes in each issue.
This JPAE Editorial Advisory Board member appointment is for a three-year term beginning January 1, 2023, and ending December 31, 2025. Members are eligible for a one-term reappointment at the discretion of the journal’s editor in chief.
Editorial board members are expected to participate in an annual planning meeting. Members are also encouraged, but not supported, to attend the editorial board meeting held during the Education Forum. Editorial board members will also be asked to participate in periodic conference calls.
Applicants should submit:
- Letter of interest stating reasons why they are interested in this position
- Current and complete curriculum vitae (CV)
- A 3-minute podcast or video summarizing an article from a recent JPAE issue
2 Feature Editor Positions Open
The Journal of Physician Assistant Education (JPAE) is seeking feature editors for two feature categories, with terms to begin January 1, 2023:
- Compliance Strategies
- Technology & Education
- Compliance Strategies — Brief descriptions of a specific practice, strategy, or technique that programs have used to ensure they are operating an effective PA education program. This includes descriptions of unique or non-traditional methods for operating the program in compliance with national standards relevant to PA education. Some examples include how to effectively assess program function, and how to ensure that all students meet program expectations.
- Technology & Education — All aspects of technology as it relates to PA education
Feature editors are responsible for contributing two articles per year relevant to their feature subject, written by either the feature editor or another author. If the article is written by another author, then the feature editor is expected to work with that author to ensure that the article submitted is of interest to members, well-written, and basically ready for publishing with only minimal additional editing required. Who should apply to be a feature editor?
- Has an established publishing record, including publication in JPAE.
- Has demonstrated a history of achievement in scholarly work, particularly in the topic area of the feature.
- Is prepared to devote the necessary time to either writing or soliciting quality, relevant feature articles to be submitted — by the deadline — for publication in the journal.
- Is willing to work with the editor in chief and editorial staff to uphold the high standards and practices of the journal.
- Possesses unique skills, qualities, or contributions that they could bring to the feature and to the journal in general.
Terms of Service and Travel
The two-year term for each feature editor position will begin January 1, 2023, and end December 31, 2024. Feature editors are eligible for a one-term reappointment at the discretion of the journal’s editor in chief. Feature editors are not required to participate in any meetings, but they are encouraged to attend the PAEA Education Forum and the journal’s Editorial Advisory Board meeting held during the Forum.
JPAE’s Current Work
- Working to publish more articles in each issue of JPAE to cut down on time from submission to publication
- Planning to step up promotion of JPAE; this could include video interviews with authors, Twitter chats about specific articles, podcasts with authors discussing their article, etc.
- Increased push to get an impact factor
- Soliciting more international authors and those from other health professions to write articles
To learn more about our volunteer projects, visit our volunteer groups and projects page.