New Exam-Writing Module for PAEA Learning Management System
Until recently, PAEA has focused its faculty development efforts almost solely on in-person training and events, like our workshops and the Education Forum. While these events are still a priority for PAEA — and we certainly recognize the importance of face-to-face interaction and discussion — there is also a need for greater accessibility. Many of our members don’t have the means or the time to travel to in-person events, but they do still have a desire to grow in their professional role.
PAEA member programs have had free access to the first learning management system (LMS), which we launched last year with an Item Writing for Beginners module. In this module, educators learn the basics of creating high-quality test questions — a core competency in academia.
Now we are excited to announce the launch of our second module in the assessment series: Developing High-Quality Exams. This module is divided into four main sections:
- Characteristics of high-quality exams
- Test blueprints, including how to construct them, and why they are essential
- Best methods of overall exam development
- Best practices when using exams to assess learning — these are reviewed along with steps and processes that should follow exam administration.
Like the first module, this new one features narrated slides covering pertinent information followed by a short quiz on what you’ve learned. You can complete the modules at your own pace, saving and coming back to them if you have to step away. You can also return at any time to modules you have completed to refresh your memory.
We’d like to hear your thoughts on the new module. While you’re logged in, you will see an icon in the top right corner that says “feedback.” Clicking this link will allow you to submit your ideas and feedback to the course administrator.
To access the LMS (if you haven’t before):
- Visit the website and click “forgot password.”
- On the Password Recovery screen, enter your professional email address that is on file with PAEA.
- Follow the link sent to your email to create your new password, and start learning!
We hope you enjoy the second LMS installment. Keep your eyes peeled in next few months for the announcement of our third series of modules.
Amanda Gunter, MS, PAEA’s instructional specialist contributed to this article.