Future Educators Inspired After Forum
Twenty-five PA students convened in Washington, D.C., earlier this month to attend PAEA’s Education Forum. They participated in the conference as part of the inaugural Future Educator Fellowship, developed by the Student Advisory Task Force. Through a two-day, fellow-specific education track, the students received a well-rounded orientation to PA education. Topics discussed included research, academic life, the transition from clinic to classroom, and the importance of advocacy. In addition, more than half of the fellows arrived early to participate in Hill Day.
The fellows also took part in carefully selected general Forum education sessions, with a specific focus on broadening their perspectives and exposing them to future directions in PA education. Perhaps most importantly, they had the opportunity to meet and network with leaders and get a sense of the culture of PA education.
“It was like they were one big family and openly welcomed us, which was encouraging,” said Fellow Justin Bynum from Mississippi College.
The fellows were excited to be a part of the conversations about the future of the profession and meeting the increased demand for quality PA educators. “The Forum pushed me to think about how I can better myself so that I can better serve the PA profession as an educator at some point in my career,” said Fellow Julia Burkhardt from the University of Detroit Mercy.
The students involved all mentioned that they look forward to ongoing opportunities to explore PA education with faculty role models. When we think about our own journey, developing and mentoring students with an interest in education might be just the spark we need to develop the next generation of quality PA educators.
2015 Future Educator Fellows
- Markie Benavidez – UC Davis
- Julia Burkhardt – University of Detroit Mercy
- Marshall (Justin) Bynum – Mississippi College
- Mike Cheesman – Rocky Mountain University
- Kelly Conner – Wake Forest University
- Jace Crawford – Emory University
- Morgan Elam – Harding University
- Kelly Finnegan – University of Colorado
- Paul Gonzales – UT Southwestern
- Laura Gonzalez – Northwestern University
- Sarah Gudmundson – Midwestern University (Glendale)
- Kathryn Howard – Saint Louis University
- Ryan Hunton – University of Kentucky
- Raymundo Jacinto – Pace University
- Paula Kennedy – Boston University
- Nicole Klopovic – University of California, Davis
- Megan McGovern – Augsburg College
- Sarah Nargiso – University of Southern California
- Sara Orlowski – Wake Forest University
- Margaret Pribyl – University of New Mexico
- Marc Robinson – Eastern Michigan University
- Kimberly Sullivan – University of Nebraska
- Mason VanNostrand – University of Nebraska
- Mark Volpe – Yale University
- Jurgen Weber – Midwestern University (Glendale)