College Affordability Act
Summary: On October 25, 2019, PAEA submitted comments to the House Education and Labor Committee on H.R. 4674, the College Affordability Act, which would represent a comprehensive reauthorization of the Higher Education Act. In this letter, PAEA praised the inclusion of certain provisions, such as:
- The elimination of origination fees on federal student loans
- The protection of Grad PLUS loans as a borrowing option for students
- Structural reforms to improve forgiveness rates under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program
- Allowing disadvantaged students to use remaining Pell grant eligibility to support the costs associated with their first graduate degree
- Increased and permanent funding to support historically black colleges and universities and other minority-serving institutions
As efforts to reauthorize the Higher Education Act continue, PAEA also urged the committee to support a principle included in the reauthorization proposal of committee Republicans that would establish borrowing parity under federal loan programs between PA students and their peers in the health professions.