PAEA 50th Anniversary: Fast Facts About the South University Tampa PA Program
Fast facts about the South University, Tampa PA Program
Courtesy of Thomas J. Williams V, MHP, PA-C
Program Name & Location: South University, Tampa, Tampa, Florida
Program mission, vision & values: To educate a diverse student population as providers of high-quality, cost-efficient health care who will make a positive impact while practicing the art and science of medicine with physician collaboration.
What year did your program welcome its first class of students: 2010
Key milestones in your program’s history:
- 2009 – Provisional Accreditation
- 2010 – Matriculation of first class
- 2012 – Accreditation continued
- Graduation of first class
- 2016 – Student programs at local free clinic
- 2017- Accreditation continued following site visit in 2016
- First “Back to School”, novel CME on-site program in conjunction with FAPA
- 2018 – Increase in class size to 48
How many students have graduated to date: 451
How has your program grown from the first class to today:
- 24 to 48 students
- Three teaching rooms to five
- Seven to 10 faculty/staff
How has your program contributed to creating a more diverse, just, and equitable profession: Through our mission and educational programs
How has your program impacted the community it serves: Student society has been very active over the past 10 years with multiple community programs and a local free care clinic.
How do you envision the next 50 years of your program: Changes included in the curriculum as the PA profession changes.