(Updated June 2019)
Personal Information That PAEA Collects
PAEA collects different types of personal information about different categories of individuals, including information submitted through PAEA’s websites, as part of registration or participation in PAEA educational programs (including workshops and seminars), participation in PAEA surveys or other research efforts, and through the Central Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA). For instance, PAEA may collect individuals’ contact information, demographic data (such as gender, ethnicity, or age), and financial information (such as the credit card numbers that individuals use to pay for PAEA products or services).
PAEA’s websites also include technologies that are standard on the Internet. For instance, our web server automatically logs user agent information (such as IP address and information about a user’s web browser). Other standard technologies include “cookies,” which users usually can decline to provide by modifying their browser settings, and “beacons,” which identify that a particular web page or e-mail has been opened.
Occasionally, PAEA might also obtain information about individuals from other sources, such as educational institutions or organizations serving the needs of physician assistants (PAs) and combine this data with other information that it has collected.
How PAEA Uses the Personal Information It Collects
PAEA uses the personal information that it collects in the following ways:
- CASPA. The centralized application service available through the CASPA Web Portal provides applicants a simplified process for applying to PA programs. PAEA uses the personal information that is collected on the centralized application for the purpose of sending the materials to PA programs designated by an applicant and to administer the CASPA program.
- Provision of Services. PAEA uses personal information to provide and enhance products and services, including, but not limited to, conferences, workshops, reports, faculty resources, and various student and educational institution services.
- Research and Survey Responses. PAEA uses personal information to perform analysis, including analysis for the purposes of enhancing recruitment, selection, and retention of well-qualified PA students; operating and improving programs in the recruitment, selection, development, and retention of well-qualified faculty; promoting interprofessional education and practice; and facilitating the pursuit and dissemination of research and scholarly work.
- Other Purposes. PAEA also may use the personal information it collects to respond to requests for information; to communicate with individuals about products or services that may be of interest; to investigate possible violations of and enforce its contracts, including any terms and conditions associated with PAEA products and services and protect its legal rights; and to perform other functions as described to individuals at the time of collection or with their consent.
With Whom PAEA Shares Personal Information
PAEA does not share personal information in identifiable form except as described in this policy. Further, when PAEA does share information, it will only share information to the extent PAEA determines the information is reasonably needed to fulfill the purposes described below:
- PA Programs and Applications. Personal information that PA program applicants provide to PAEA through CASPA will be shared with the PA programs designated by the applicant. In addition, PAEA may share personal information obtained through CASPA with other entities (including programs not designated by the applicant and central application services for other professions) to investigate any questions about the accuracy of that information or if PAEA believes that an applicant does not conform with PAEA policies. In these circumstances, PAEA also may share personal information with others to the extent that it believes it is appropriate in connection with any investigation that PAEA conducts.
- Service Providers. PAEA may share personal information with organizations or individuals that perform functions on PAEA’s behalf. For example, service providers may process payments for PAEA products and services or may operate PAEA’s website. These service providers are granted access to PAEA information for the sole purpose of performing their functions for PAEA.
- Data Reporting and Analysis. For research purposes, PAEA may share personal information (either on an individualized or aggregated basis) with the Physician Assistant Data Consortium (which consists of PAEA, the American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA), and the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA)) and similar collaborations, subject to confidentiality commitments from those recipients. PAEA also may publicly release survey results and data analysis, but any personal information so released will be in aggregated or anonymized form only.
- Marketing. It is PAEA’s policy not to share information with third parties for those parties’ marketing purposes, with the sole exception of sharing e-mail addresses of conference attendees with exhibitors.
- Legal Matters. PAEA may share personal information in response to a subpoena or similar investigative demand, a court order, a request for cooperation from a law enforcement or other government agency, or as otherwise required by law; to defend against legal claims; to investigate, prevent, or take other action regarding illegal activity, suspected fraud, suspected violations of terms and conditions associated with PAEA products or services, or other wrongdoing; to protect and defend the rights, property or safety of the company, its users, its employees, or others; or in connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as a merger.
- Other Purposes. PAEA may share personal information as otherwise described at the point of collection or pursuant to an individual’s consent.
Also, to the extent an individual posts information about himself or herself in a public setting, such as a public forum or social media service that PAEA operates, PAEA would not consider that information confidential and may share it with others.
Access to Personal Information in PAEA Database
Users can make a request to review and update personal information contained in PAEA’s databases that they have supplied by contacting PAEA at email@example.com.
How PAEA Protects Personal Information
PAEA uses commercially reasonable security measures (including physical, electronic and procedural measures) to help safeguard personal information from unauthorized access and disclosure. However, no system for transmitting or storing information electronically can be guaranteed to be completely secure.
PAEA does not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If PAEA learns that it has collected personal information from a child under the age of 13, it will delete that information from its database.
How to Contact PAEA
Individuals with questions about this policy or PAEA’s personal information-handling practices should contact PAEA at firstname.lastname@example.org, (703) 548-5538.