Here are 6 excellent reasons why you should consider running for the board, with testimonies from current board members.
1. You will play an influential role in helping to guide the Association during this crucial time for health care education. Board service also offers you the opportunity to play a broader role in shaping national education policy, which affects students and programs across the country. Plus, your visibility as a board member will raise both your personal profile as well as the profile of your program.
2. You will learn an incredible amount about what it takes to run an association — as well as some things you didn’t know about PA education. Not only will you gain treasured insight from your fellow board members, you also will be presented with numerous leadership development opportunities.
Being on the board has allowed me to expand my knowledge on a number of topics including non-profit board governance, leadership and advocacy, and so much more. I have also been able to work with and learn from a variety of gifted, forward-thinking individuals. — Mona Sedrak, PhD, PA-C
3. Serving on the Board of Directors is the networking opportunity of a lifetime. As a member of the board, you will be able to make valuable professional connections, gaining unparalleled access to thought-leaders and those at the forefront of other health professions. You will also enjoy a behind-the-scenes look at what the board is working on, giving you an early view of emerging issues.
4. You will experience a feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction from the collective work of the board. When you see all of your hard work come to fruition and the progress made by PAEA each year, it will be both personally and professionally rewarding.
Two of my favorite board achievements both relate to making bold decisions to move the organization forward: 1) The decision to take a financial risk to develop End of Rotation exams; and 2) to move our offices to downtown Washington, D.C., into the building owned by the AAMC. — Bill Kohlhepp, DHSc, PA-C
5. PAEA staff are always there for our board members.
We realize the amount of time and effort that members put into board service, so we go out of our way to make sure they know how much they are valued and appreciated. Staff will provide all of the expertise and support that board members need and are always available to help in any way they can.
I was so worried that I would have to memorize and be able to readily reference the Policies and Procedures Manual at our first board meeting. So I was relieved to find out that wasn’t the case and to have such amazing support in place from the excellent staff to help the board do their work and ensure that we stayed true to our processes. — Mary Jo Bondy, DHEd, PA-C
6. You will meet outstanding colleagues from around the country and develop lasting friendships. Being involved as part of the team that is the PAEA Board of Directors provides a unique bonding experience.
I keep saying that being the past president is the best job ever. But in all seriousness, next year I’m really going to miss the professional collegiality of being with my fellow board members. — Karen Hills, MS, PA-C
View the Board of Directors call here.
We know that considering board service is something our members don’t take lightly, so we are holding a Pathfinder to Board Service webinar on May 14 at 1:00 p.m. ET. This session will be facilitated by the chair of the Leadership Development and Recruitment Council with current PAEA board members available to field questions about their service experience. Registration is required. Sign up now.
Questions also may be directed to Jennifer Jarmin, Leadership Development and Recruitment Council staff advisor, at jjarmin@PAEAonline.org.