The NCCPA has released its 2014 Statistical Profile of Certified Physician Assistants. Significant findings include:
- The greatest number of PAs practice in family medicine, followed by the surgical subspecialties and emergency medicine.
- The average salary of a PA is $98,387, and the highest paid PAs work in dermatology, emergency medicine, and critical care medicine.
- The PA profession is young. The median age of PAs is 38.
- In terms of race, 86.8% of PAs are white, 5.1% are Asian, and 3.9% are African-American. The profession is actively seeking to promote diversity.
- The top five states for PAs are New York, California, Texas, Pennsylvania, and Florida. The top five states for PAs per 100,000 population are Alaska, South Dakota, Maine, Pennsylvania, and New York.