PAEA provides raw data drawn from our surveys to both members and non-members. The following is information about the steps necessary to obtain raw data.
Data on Demand Policies
A raw data request will only be filled if it meets our Data on Demand Policies. Please review these policies before making any raw data request.
If you have any questions, please contact the PAEA Research Team at research@PAEAonline.org.
Member cost is calculated at a rate of $50.00 per hour for staff time that exceeds one hour per calendar year. The one hour fee waiver does not apply to requests for students, including PA students.
Non-members are charged $100.00 per hour with no waiver of the first hour. Members must have completed the survey section(s) for which they are requesting data. For example, if requesting custom tuition data, that program must have provided tuition data for the survey.
Institutional Review Board (IRB) Approval
Requests for raw data will be reviewed, but not filled, until proof of IRB approval or exemption is received.
Data on Demand: Raw Data Request Process
- Complete the Data on Demand: Raw Data request form.
- The following information must be provided via the request form to allow reviewers to determine the potential benefit to the PA profession, in relation to the potential burden on the Research Team staff or members:
- Person requesting data/PI and any other co-PIs or assistants that will have access to the data
- Contact information of PI and co-PIs (if applicable)
- Affiliation with PAEA
- Affiliated institution/organization
- Immediate supervisor and contact information (i.e., email, phone number). In the case of a thesis or dissertation, provide advisor’s name and contact information.
- Purpose of the study/request (i.e., purpose, research questions, problem statement, and objectives)
- Brief review of literature
- Details about data needed (source, year, variables, type of file, etc.)
- Methodology (study design, sampling techniques, planned data analyses, etc.)
- Planned method(s) of disseminating findings
- Name and contact information of IRB, IRB status, and IRB number (if approved)
- Date the data file is being requested
- Data requests initially will be reviewed by the PAEA Research Team staff to determine eligibility (e.g., member status) and that all required elements have been included. Data requests for members will only be honored if the PA program is in good standing, meaning dues are up-to-date and the program has completed the most recent Program and Curriculum Surveys. Members must have completed the survey section(s) for which they are requesting data. For example, if requesting custom tuition data, that program must have provided tuition data for the survey.
- After the initial review is complete, data requests will undergo a full review by the Research Team. Review of requests will have one of three conclusions: approved, approved with revisions, or not approved. Criteria to be used by the reviewers includes:
- Does the research as proposed have the potential to advance knowledge of PA education and/or the profession?
- Did the principal investigator(s) include all of the required elements (1-12 in Step One above)?
- If the principal investigator and staff are unable to reach agreement on requested revisions, the request will be forwarded to the Research Mission Advancement Commission (MAC) chair who will make the final decision. If the Research MAC chair is needed as a reviewer, the Research Team will assign an identification number and strip identifying information from the request to ensure a blinded review. If the request is not approved, the investigator may appeal to the PAEA Board of Directors. If the request is approved, staff will communicate approval to the investigator with an estimate of the cost. Currently, member cost is calculated at a rate of $50.00 per hour for staff time that exceeds one hour. Non-members are charged $100.00 per hour with no waiver of the first hour. Non-members are required to pay half of the estimated cost prior to the release of data and the remainder within 30 days of delivery. Members are required to pay 100% of the cost within 30 days of delivery.
- The Confidentiality, Academic Integrity, and Non-Disclosure Agreement must be completed by the investigator before PAEA Research Team staff fill the data request.
- PAEA Research Staff will provide the requestors with a password-protected link to the data.
- Six months after the request is closed, the Research Team will send the user(s) a link to a brief follow-up survey. This survey allows PAEA to track the outcomes of the data request program and improve its services. All users are required to complete this survey.