This program will provide a substantial investment of up to $50,000 for research that will answer a significant research question related to PA education and/or the profession. Funding is prioritized for research questions that contribute to or expand on the existing body of knowledge in PA education and are consistent with the two major goals or five components of the PAEA Strategic Plan. PAEA will accept letters of intent beginning July 13, 2016 and will invite full proposals no later than October 26, 2016.
The principal investigator ( PI ) must be employed at least half-time (0.50 FTE) at a PAEA member program in good standing and full-time at the host institution of the PA program, as well as have a proven research track record. The PI does not have to be a physician assistant but a physician assistant should be involved in the project.
PAEA recommends reviewing the evaluation criteria to guide the preparation of successful application materials.
All application materials, excluding cover sheets, must be fully blinded (i.e., no identifying information may be included). Identifying information includes mentions of participating institutions in the letter of intent and full proposal as well as the following information commonly found in curriculum vitae (CVs):
- Researcher’s name and contact information
- Institutions from which researcher received degrees
- Institutions where researcher has been employed
- Membership in and presentations given at regional conferences or organizations (e.g., Texas Association of Physician Assistants)
- Researcher’s name in publications and awarded grants
- Geographically or institutionally identifying information in publication titles (e.g., “Health outcomes among a sample of women in Philadelphia”)
Blinded CVs must be named using the convention “CV_PI,” “CV_CoPI1,” “CV_CoPI2,” “CV_CoI1,” “CV_CoI2,” etc. Unblinded applications will not be reviewed.
Overlaying a shape and/or changing the font or background of identifying text is not sufficient. This guide contains useful information on how to appropriately blind your application materials. You may also email research@PAEAonline.org with questions.
Letter of intent
Investigators interested in competing for funding must first submit a letter of intent. The selection committee will review letters of intent to determine which applicants will be invited to submit a full proposal. Successful letters of intent will include the following elements and will not exceed five pages (excluding cover and CVs).
- Name, credentials, institutional affiliation, and role of principal investigator and co-investigator(s)
- Problem Statement/Research question(s)
- Background with specific attention to how the project will contribute significant knowledge to the PA profession or education and how it is related to the PAEA Strategic Plan
- Proposed methods and analysis
- Dissemination plan including general time frame
- Proposed budget (justification is not required at this stage)
- Curriculum vitae of the PI and co-investigator(s)
Letters of intent must be emailed to grants@PAEAonline.org no later than 5:00 p.m. ET August 31, 2016. If confirmation of receipt of submission is not given within two business days, please call (703) 667-4335.
Full proposals must be paginated with one-inch margins and a font size of no less than 12. All application materials, excluding the cover sheet, must be fully blinded (i.e., no identifying information may be included). Proposals may not exceed 25 pages (see the note below for exceptions to the page count) and must include all of the sections outlined below, which should be clearly labelled. Review of proposals that do not include all elements and/or which do not meet formatting requirements will be delayed.
- Completed full proposal cover sheet (download here)
- Abstract (300 words or less)
- Problem statement and/or research question(s)
- Background including literature review and appropriate citations
- Methods including detailed information regarding sampling, data collection, study protocol, study materials (e.g., survey instruments, simulation software), timetable, and safeguards for protection of human subjects, including approval by an Institutional Review Board
- Analytic plan including detail regarding specific statistical tests and how they address the research question
- Anticipated impact on PA education or the PA field
- Relevance of proposed study to PAEA’s Strategic Plan
- Dissemination plan
- Summary of research team qualifications to successfully conduct the proposed study
- Detailed, itemized budget and budget justification (see below for allowable costs)
- Bibliography/reference list
- Blinded curriculum vitae of all investigators and subcontractors
- Appendix of survey instruments, if used in study
- Letters of support for any partnerships/collaboration (no more than three)
Note: Items 1 and 12-15 are not included in the page count.
Full proposals will be invited no later than October 26, 2016. Full proposals must be emailed to grants@PAEAonline.org no later than 5:00 p.m. ET on January 13, 2017. All decisions of the selection committee are final. If confirmation of receipt of submission is not given within two business days, please call (703) 667-4335.
- July 13 – letter of intent open
- Aug 31 – letter close
- Oct 26 – invite full proposals
- Oct 27 – open full proposals
- Jan 13 – close full proposals
- Feb 15 – award *
* Grantee will be subject to conditions of award, which will include schedule for disbursement of funds and reporting requirements.
- Travel to present or conduct research
- Salary including fringe benefits for key personnel’s direct contribution to the project
- Software relevant to the project (< $5K)
- Indirect (up to 5%)
- Participant incentives that are reasonable
- Capital equipment
- Food/entertainment (other than food provided as participant incentive)
- Computer hardware
- Curriculum development
- Software not directly relevant to the project
- Training not directly related to the project