Applications for volunteer opportunities with terms beginning January 1, 2018, currently are being accepted until October 17. PAEA encourages faculty and staff from our member programs to take an active role in the Association’s leadership activities through volunteerism, either through personally considering service or encouraging another member to do so.
Through volunteer service, members gain the opportunity for rewarding personal and professional growth as well as mentorship. Members also develop a greater sense of community with their fellow PA educators while helping to advance PAEA’s mission.
A total of 21 volunteer positions are available with a January 1, 2018, start date, and six positions are available on our Exam Development Boards with a March 1, 2018, start date.
While all volunteers are required to meet the submission, eligibility, and deadline requirements listed below, each volunteer group may require and consider additional, specific criteria for selection. Please read each position description thoroughly before submitting your application. You will find a link below for each group’s detailed information and available position descriptions.
Mission Advancement Commissions (download PDF)
- Leadership Development Mission Advancement Commission
- Research Mission Advancement Commission
Steering Committees, Review Committees, and Boards (download PDF)
- Awards & Honors Review Committee
- Finance Steering Committee
- Future Educator Development Steering Committee
- Government Relations Steering Committee
- Grants & Scholarships Review Committee
- JPAE Editorial Board
Exam Development Boards (download PDF)
- Exam Development Boards
Work Groups (download PDF)
- CAS Enhancements Work Group
- JPAE Feature Editors
Although you are not compensated for your time, PAEA pays all expenses associated with volunteer travel to in-person or other required meetings.
SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL POSITIONS
All applicants must submit the following documents via the application form to be considered:
- Complete curriculum vitae (CV) using the standard PAEA CV template
- A brief statement (two pages or less in PDF format) of the applicant’s interest in volunteerism, specifically demonstrating the skills and abilities listed below and addressing each group’s specific criteria.
- A signed Volunteer Agreement and Conflict of Interest form (the text is embedded in the application form)
- Applicants to the Exam Development Board openings must also submit three sample questions. These should address the following content and task areas:
- Pulmonology, Health Maintenance
- Gastroenterology, Diagnostic Studies
- Cardiology, Clinical Therapies
Applicants must submit all materials by 5:00 p.m. ET on October 17, 2017. If you do not receive a confirmation of receipt within two business days of submitting your application, or if you have questions about the application process, please contact volunteers@PAEAonline.org.
- Must be a faculty or staff member at a PAEA member program, an Institutional Colleague member program, or an Individual Colleague member.
- Must have the following documents signed and submitted to PAEA:
PAEA is committed to building a culturally diverse group of volunteer leaders. We strongly encourage minorities and individuals with disabilities to apply for open volunteer positions. Qualified applicants will be considered through a blinded review process, and evaluated equally, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Applicants must demonstrate the skills and abilities below through their application, CV, or statement of interest:
- Clear and diplomatic communication
- Professionalism and ethical behavior
- Collaborative, team-based spirit while bringing your unique, individual personality and contributions to the group’s work
- Specific skills or abilities highlighted in each individual group’s call
- Commit to the success of the group’s goals and outcomes while advancing the PAEA mission
- Prepare for and participate in conference calls and meetings as scheduled
- Actively contribute to the group’s annual deliverables or objectives and key results
- Approach the group’s work with a diplomatic, positive spirit
- Maintain confidentiality on sensitive issues
- Perform other duties as assigned by the volunteer group’s chair(s)
- One annual in-person meeting
- Conference calls as scheduled
TERMS OF SERVICE
Members of all volunteer groups serve two two-year terms, and must have chair support to continue into their second two-year term. Members will be informally evaluated by their group’s chair and staff partner, based on the volunteer responsibilities listed above, to determine eligibility for continuation into their second term.
- The Future Educator Development Steering Committee chair is eligible to serve two two-year terms.
- Future Educator Development Steering Committee members are eligible to serve one three-year term.
- Government Relations Steering Committee members are eligible to serve one three-year and one two-year terms, staggered.
- JPAE Editorial Board members are eligible to serve two three-year terms.
- Exam Development Board members are eligible to serve unlimited three-year terms from March 1-March 31.
- October 17: Applications due
- December 22: Notification of selection decision to all applicants
- January 1, 2018: Newly appointed volunteers’ service term begins